If you’re like me, you’re wondering wtf Ganache is. It’s white chocolate cake frosting made with 2 simple ingredients and super easy to make. It’s also incredibly light- meaning not super sugary or sweet so can pair with almost any desert.
Last weekend was my mom’s birthday and I decided to take the task of making the cake. Don’t ask why, I’ve never been a baker nor have I ever attempted decorating or making a cake. Something got into me though, so I decided I was going for it.
Fun fact about me; I don’t like cake. Biggest reason being, they are generally too sweet for me- the frosting is so thick and sugary, and very little actual cake breading (which would be my favorite part considering I love carbs).
So again, why did I say I would make the cake? I still don’t have this answer but I decided if I was going to make the cake, then I wanted to make the frosting from scratch and it would be a “naked” cake with just some frosting in between layers and at the top because I don’t like it and they look so pretty on Pinterest, haha.
A few weeks ago I attempted a white cake with whip cream frosting for my friend- which was a ton of trial and mostly error. I didn’t even try the cake and got no feedback on it either, but my husband did try the whip cream frosting and he loved it. He loves sweets, so I take that with a grain of salt also because I could give him a spoonful of sugar and he’d love it. But it did stand out that he mentioned how light the frosting was- so I decided I would look up and play around with different recipes for my mom’s cake.
I decided I was going to make white and chocolate layers and I wanted the frosting between layers to include fresh strawberries. I also was set on having my frosting WHITE. When I made it a few weeks ago, based on the recipe that called for vanilla pudding powder filling- my frosting turned yellow and I did not like that. So I looked up different versions and finally settled on this.
It’s super easy to make, incredibly light and paired perfectly with the white and chocolate cake as well as the strawberries. So here you go;
White Ganache Recipe
- 8oz white chocolate bars
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- in a microwave safe bowl, break down chocolate bars and microwave in 30-45 second intervals until almost fully melted
- in another microwave safe bowl, heat heavy whipping cream in 1-2 minute increments until warm
- combine the warm heavy whipping cream with almost fully melted chocolate bars and microwave again in 30-45 second increments until chocolate is fully melted
- stir cream and chocolate until fully combined- you shouldn’t have any chocolate chunks left
- transfer mixture to a stainless steel bowl or your kitchen aid bowl; cover and place in refrigerator for at least 12 hours (24 hours is ideal)
- using your kitchen aid or hand mixer, mix the cool cream/chocolate liquid until desired texture (3-5 minutes to reach peaks)
I frosted the cake between layers with the ganache on its own, then sprinkled the strawberries on top and then placing the next layer of cake on top. You can also add the chopped strawberries (or fruit of choice) to the ganache and frost the cake accordingly.
These measurements gave me plenty of frosting to [naked] frost this 4 layer, 9 inch cake and I was quite generous with it between layers- I had about a quarter of the total mixture left.
That’s it! I got a ton of compliments on the taste and I think the aesthetics of it looked ok too! And I learned making cake frosting from scratch is not that hard and will really impress people not only when you tell them, but when they taste it!